Wool & Flax

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

As I said in my first post, we decided to join a CSA this year.  We really love all kinds of produce, but we want to integrate them into each and every meal, and we want to increase the quantity of fruits and veggies we eat each day.  We've talked about joining the past couple of years, but thankfully K reminded me this year right before sign-ups were closed, and we're finally in!  As Kentuckians we're really lucky to have access to so much fresh produce, and there are several local CSA's, but we chose to join with Elmwood Stock Farm.  I always shop with them when I visit our Farmer's Market, and they always have such great variety.  In addition to produce, they offer organic eggs, chicken, and meat. 

So what do we "get" from it?  From Elmwood's website:

"Weekly from mid-May to mid-October, boxes of seasonal produce are delivered to convenient pickup locations in your area. In a time when grocery food travels an average of almost 2,000 miles to reach our tables, a local CSA offers a fresher, more sustainable alternative...These are gourmet quality vegetables freshly harvested to ensure high flavor and nutritional benefit. The variety and bounty depend on the season: at the beginning quantities tend to be smaller, with a focus on salad, greens and spring veggies. Toward the middle of the season, quantities can be bountiful. By fall, the range of vegetables has changed yet again."

Say no more.  I'm there.  Another advantage for me is that I will be "forced" to cook with specific ingredients every week, thus expanding my own personal recipe box.  As I found out after the very first week, it might take some creativity to use all of these ingredients!!  If I happen to make something really interesting, I plan to post a recipe (whether my own or "ganked" from someone else) in my FOOD. secion.

So let's get to the bounty of weeks 1 & 2 (they were the same): Strawberries, black beans, over-wintered spinach, sage, asparagus, and garlic greens.








I want to spend a moment to talk about the garlic greens; they are a completely new ingredient to me.  They look like a cross between a green onion and a leek, and from what I read you typically just use the whites and an inch or two of the greens.  I really didn't know how on earth I was going to use them, so I just thought I'd use them like I might use a leek.  The first week I made an asparagus and garlic greens risotto (recipe here), and this past week I used the greens to impart flavor to chicken on the grill.  Just put the greens down on the grates and then lay the chicken on top.  I used a simple seasoning of s & p and some smoked paprika, and the flavor was incredible.  So if you find yourself in the company of some garlic greens, I hope this will help you think of ways to use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment